As you move through your weight loss journey, it’ll be the fat on your body you want to lose and not the muscle. Muscle will burn more calories while resting than fat and muscle will give you a more toned and tight appearance. A toned body will fit better in your clothes and you’ll have more energy and better overall health with more muscle than fat.
But when you are trying to lose weight, how do you lose the fat and not the muscle when you cut the calories?
Here are just a few tips that are used by fitness trainers to reduce your body fat content while you are losing weight.
1. Drink water – and lots of it. The average adult is between 50 and 65 percent water. Drinking water will help you feel full and has no calories. Drink at least 1 ounce of water for every 2 pounds of body weight. So, if you are 150 pounds you’d drink 75 ounces of water each day. Keep a water bottle with you and keep it filled.
2. Try intermittant fasting. When your body has burned through blood glucose and stored glycogen it will turn to fat for fuel. This means you’ll burn your stored fat throughout the day.
3. Reduce your carbohydrate intake to between 60 and 90 grams per day. This will also help your body to burn fat instead of carbs for fuel.
4. Increase your protein intake so your body has the building blocks for muscle development after your exercise. Muscle will burn more calories than fat and will increase your calorie burn each day.
5. Take a multi-vitamin each day to ensure that you have the optimal amount of vitamins and minerals. When you are deficient in some vitamins it can slow your metabolism and reduce you fat burn.
6. Drink tea and not coffee. Green tea has wonderful health benefits that include cancer prevention and helping the body to heal from cancer treatments. Tea will also help increase your body’s metabolism and reduce your appetite. Coffee has more calories, has more caffeine which is addictive and is often associated with eating situations.
7. Don’t slash your calories below 1200 per day or you may actually slow your metabolism and reduce the amount of weight you lose.
8. Increase your vegetable intake. They are packed with nutrients, have minimal calories and high in fiber which keeps you feeling full.
9. Exercise! If you can exercise in the morning before breakfast, you’ll be burning fat for fuel and not glycogen or blood glucose.
Muscle and Fitness: 20 Tips to Shed body Fat for good
RedBook: 21 Ways to burn Fat Faster and Lose Weight
Four Hour Work Week: How to Lose 20 pounds of fat in 30 days
BodyBuilding: How to Lose Body Fat Now
Fitness: Slim for Life